Jun 9, 2011

Firsts

salvaged stepping stones by Pixiefarts
salvaged stepping stones, a photo by Pixiefarts on Flickr.

I harvested my first strawberry last night.

Yesterday afternoon, the temperature was 97 degree's. On my way to check on my girls (pickles, gherkin & dilly), I spotted three red strawberries. I planted these last year in the cinder block holes. I wasn't sure if they would produce anything, but I kept watering them. My four plants have exploded with berries. I stool on my homemade stepping stones in the hot breeze and took a small bite out of the darkest berry. It was hot from sitting in the sun all day. I ran over to Dicky to show him what I found. He was by the driveway watering the garlic plants. He took a bite and handed it back to me. I was beaming with excitement that I grew something that was so perfect.

PS: I picked the other two this morning and put them in my salad for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment